The Hierarchy of Laguna are the Angels that Bayonetta encounters during the game. They are the soldiers of Paradiso that Bayonetta hunts down. The Angels are collectively referred to as "Laguna" and worshipped by the people of Vigrid.
The Angels' Ranks are as follows: (From Lowest to Highest)
- Third Sphere (Angels, Archangels, Principalities)
- Second Sphere (Powers, Virtues, Dominions)
- First Sphere (Thrones, Cherubim, Seraphim)
- Occult Device *
- The Lumen Sage *
- The Infinite One
* Non-Angel enemies that are still counted in The Hierarchy of Laguna
All Angels share certain characteristics: marble-like skin covering twisted musculature, gold-and-ivory armor (occasionally tinted), and a large golden halo above their heads or bodies. The higher-ranking Angels can be identified by their more elaborate armor and halos.
List of AngelsEdit
The known Angels of The Hierarchy and their proper Rank.
|Third Sphere||Angels||Affinity, Dear and Decorations, Enchant|
|Second Sphere||Powers||Beloved, Kinship|
|Virtues||Fairness, Grace and Glory|
|Seraphim||Gracious and Glorious, Joy|
|Auditio||Fortitudo, Temperantia, Iustitia, Sapientia|
|The Infinite One||Father Rodin|
|The Lumen Sage||Father Balder|
- When consulting the Hierarchy of Laguna in the menu, each angel file includes a unique freeze frame along with, in front of that rank's halo symbol, the title of the angel and above and below that "___ (First, Second, Third) Sphere ___ (Individual Rank)". The Affinity angels, though simply ranked "Angels", are registered as "Third Sphere Archangels" even though that rank belongs to Applaud only. This is presumably an error.
- Archangels, Thrones, and Cherubim are the only ranks to have only one angel in them. Among these, Cherubim (Braves) are the only one to have only one model for that type. (Applaud has two and Inspired has two as well as an unregistered glowing golden form unique to stage 10)
- Harmony and Irenic are the only angels above rank 9 that appear without a health bar on the bottom right of the screen. This is probably because Irenic appear only in the motorcycle scene of stage 8, where nothing has a health bar; Harmony also appear in large groups to the point where that many health bars would be confusing. Also, Harmony have relatively low health and are not mini-bosses in the game's coding.
- Kinships are the only angels that remain after death.
- In true Christian hierarchy, groups of three ranks of angels are not called "Spheres", but "Choirs". This was probably chosen so as not to be religiously offending. That is counter acted by the fact that in Father Balder's entry, the entry mentions his "pious" followers, which could be deemed offensive. That, as well as the fact that Jubileus, the Creator (implying that she is the sole "God") is female.
- By some opinion, Archangels should be not one, but two angels, due to the difference between Applaud A and B (armor, health, very different weapons). This also applies to Affinity and its Sousaphone form. This goes as far as some fans naming different forms.
- When angels are killed, they drop halos that bear a striking reasembles to the rings in the Sonic the Hedgehog Series.